As if we, parents, have not endured enough sleepless nights, it turns out the 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep are an optical illusion even when the baby is not having any of the indispositions listed above.
How babies, toddlers, and children even manage to find so many ways to keep their parents awake in the middle of the night is beyond me. Babies cry, toddlers need about a gallon of water before sleep (and in between the very sleep!), children magically find temselves into mommy and daddy’s bed, kicking their way to the sweetest bed spot when mommy finally gives up and goes to sleep in the toddler bed. Wait, is it just me? No, I doubt it. We (parents) are all in this together.
There is, however, a simple (and brilliant) solution to our sleep issues and it is called a bunk bed – the place where your child will feel safe, where there is enough room to play, the place they can call their own (finally getting out of the family bed).
4 reasons you need a bunk bed (with a slide):
1. Your precious space is scarce
With so many toys, high chairs, baby swings, and clutter of all sorts, it’s a miracle if you find a place to sit (as if your toddler is actually going to let you do that, haha). The thing is that we all struggle to find some extra space for our little ones – a place they can safely have fun and rest, take a nap or just play (quietly) while we try to remember what life was before kids.
A loft bed is the perfect space saver as it combines sleeping area and play area in one. It also works very well for oddly shaped and narrow rooms and helps you best maximize the space you have.
2. You want to make the most of your child’s bedtime routine
We all know how difficult (OK, almost impossible) it is to make the little monster go to bed. No matter how exhausted he is, he just won’t trade having fun in the living room for trying to fall asleep in his boring toddler bed.
Now imagine there is no such thing as a boring bed – his bunk is a medieval castle or a military tent and he can’t wait to get inside his magical space and listen to his favorite bedtime story. A hidden bonus is that it offers some quality time with your child for you as well!
3. Your child needs an indoor playground
It goes without saying that toddlers and children have A LOT of energy and can play all day. If it is summer and if you have an outdoor space that you have turned to a playground, you are lucky as this outdoor space will keep your little one occupied for longer stretches of time.
But what about the times when the weather doesn’t allow outdoor fun? What if you live in an apartment and don’t have a backyard? Then you should arrange an indoor playground for your child to wear his batteries out. Bunk beds come with cool features like slides, ladders, curtains, towers, tents, etc. which can turn a regular bed to the ultimate indoor playground for your child, setting his imagination free and helping them stay entertained for hours!
4. You have more than one child
If you need to sleep more than one child in the same room, you simply can’t go wrong with a twin-size bunk. The different manufacturers offer plenty of configuration options so we have no doubt you will find the perfect fit for your children’s bedroom. The kids can’t love you more for giving them the best ground for unforgettable slumber parties!
4 features to look for in your child’s bed:
1. A slide
A slide is perhaps the coolest feature of a lofted bed. It provides tons of fun for your child for many years so parents usually opt for a twin bed with a slide when they choose the best space saving bed for their children’s bedrooms. Except for sliding down, your children will find out a thousand other ways to have fun with it like sliding down their teddies, toy cars, etc.
2. A tent
A tent is another feature your child will love in his loft bed. It can practically turn to anything (a fortress, an ice-house, a castle, a submarine, a picnic ground, a camping site, anything your child’s imagination comes up with)! The perfect hiding place, the tent allows your child to play uninterrupted by annoying older siblings, giving him the feeling of having his own personal space.
3. A ladder
A ladder is a necessary accessory as the child has to climb it to get to the upper twin bed. Except for being simply practical, though, a bunk ladder is also a great way for your child to practice his gross motor skills. Besides, climbing up the ladder and sliding down the slide is so much fun!
4. Built-in storage
One great feature of loft beds is the opportunity for maximizing of the underbed space. Whether it is shelves, drawers, a desk or even a dresser, many bunk models offer built-in storage options, which is an added bonus and comes in very handy when your child grows up and needs more storage and some extra space to study.
The 4 best bunk beds with slides on the market:
Best boyish design
Coaster Kid’s GI Child Bunk Bed with Slide and Tent
Coaster Kid’s GI Child Bunk Bed is every little boy’s dream! Here’s why we love it:
- Fancy army theme – the whole bed comes in a military army green color that is simply impossible for young boys to resist! This is your boy’s new fort and there’s almost nothing that can get him out of it (day and night).
- Steel tubing – sturdy and long-lasting, the material that is used for the construction (and for the slide) guarantees both safety and many years of fun.
- Side ladder – not too steep, the side ladder lets even younger kids get easily in the top twin bed on top of their military “fort”.
- Steel slide – designed with durability in mind, the sleek steel slide is perfect for indoor play when your little one has already got their portion of sleep!
- Camouflage tent – there’s nothing that can get boys as excited as anything army does. The camouflage tent is no exception! Your little military man may spend hours in his army tent pretending he is at the front, giving orders to his soldier toys (or the dog, go figure).
Best value for money
Donco Kids Twin Loft Tent Bed with Slide
Donco Kids Twin Loft Tent Bed comes in five different colors (blue, camo, pink, red polka dots, and solid red) to suit every parent’s (and child’s) taste. Here’s why we love it:
- Solid pine construction – pine is a very high-quality wood that is often used for furniture and even flooring. It makes the construction sturdy (which means no shaking at all) and besides, it comes in a fresh white finish that easily fits the style of most interiors.
- Straight ladder – a great feature of this loft bed is the straight ladder. No incline means you get plenty of the so valuable floor space, which makes it perfect for smaller rooms.
- Fun slide – as with any lofted bed with a slide, this one makes it impossible for young children to not have fun sliding down and climbing up on the bed again.
- Imagination-friendly design – what’s great about Donco Kids Twin Loft Tent Bed is that it features a great open play space with tent sides that are easily lifted so your child is never bored!
- It’s (very) reasonably priced – compared to other space-saving toddler beds, this one is a great value for money, which makes it a reasonable purchase if you are on a tight budget.
Best girlish design
Powell Princess Castle Twin Tent Bunk Bed with Slide
Powell Princess Castle Twin Tent Bunk Bed is every little princess’ dream-come-true! Here’s why we love it:
- Princess castle theme – designed in the sweetest pink and purple you can imagine, this bunk is a real magic castle! Your little girl can’t be happier to sleep and play in her girly fortress that even has a tower. What more can a girl want?
- Sturdy frame construction – made of sturdy steel, the bed construction guarantees your little one’s safety and you can easily see that it is built to last.
- Playtime extras – a cute ladder, a wide slide, see-through tent windows and a real tower make playing with this loft bed a real adventure!
- Hiding place on ground level – there’s plenty of space under the twin bed where your little princess can spend endless hours playing in her pretend magical kingdom.
Broyhill Kids Destin Junior Loft Bed Collection with Slide
Broyhill Kids Destin Junior Loft Bed is (hands-down) our favorite loft bed with a slide. Here’s why we love it:
- Durable construction – our editor’s choice bunk bed is made of high-quality solid wood and composites which guarantee you a durable construction that will endure many years of use.
- Enviable weight limit (200 lbs/90 kg) – unlike most loft beds, this one has a generous weight limit allowing older children, teenagers, and even adults to comfortably sleep in this twin bed.
- Built-in storage solutions – Broyhill Kids Destin Junior Loft Bed comes with a full furniture set – a desk, a chair, cubbies, shelves, and drawers – all snugly fitting under the loft bed, which makes it the ultimate children’s bedroom solution on the market!
- Fit for any age – the sleek design and the many extras this loft bed comes with make it appropriate for almost any age. Whether you have a toddler, a tween, or even a teenager, this bunk bed can be adjusted to accommodate your child’s age.
Depending on your budget and whether you have a boy or a girl, your bunk choices will be different. Whichever option you choose, however, just make sure you have measured the space right so you aren’t unpleasantly surprised if the twin bed doesn’t fit the space you have set for it.
Our advice: if you have enough space, pick a loft bed with more playtime/furniture extras. This will keep your child entertained and he will thank you for this by letting you have some “me” time. Finally!
A few notes on safety
Bunk beds are incredible space savers and provide tons of fun for children. Their elevated design, however, requires some extra parental care as there is a certain risk involved. To make sure your child is safe in his loft bed at all times, you should always adhere to the safety guidelines that your twin bed comes with. Here’s what to pay extra attention to:
- Strictly follow the assembly instructions that come with the bed.
- Make sure the guard rails are safely adjusted on both sides of the bed and the ladder/slide is safely attached to the bed frame.
- Allow at least 5 inches between the mattress’ top and the upper edge of the guard rails.
- Double check that the size of the mattress is what’s recommended for your twin bed model.
- Don’t let children under 6 years sleep on the top bunk (you can use a pull out bed for them or simply put the mattress on the floor under the upper bed).
- Don’t let more than one child sleep on the upper bunk.
- Give clear instructions to your child about what’s allowed (e.g. climbing up the ladder and sliding down the slide) and what’s not (e.g. horse riding under the bed or on the upper twin bed) and supervise their play at the beginning to make sure they are doing it right.