So, you are considering buying a baby humidifier for your little one’s nursery room. Good for you (and for your baby)! Does this mean there is no need to convince you that you need a humidifier?
Considering that most of your brain cells already died in agony thanks to the countless sleepless nights new parenthood so strikingly presents to us, I still think you might need a little convincing. Here it goes.
5 reasons you need a baby humidifier:
1. It creates optimal breathing conditions for your baby, aka as no stuffy noses and frequent sore throats. Bye-bye, nose pump, welcome nicely humidified air!
2. It immensely helps with baby skin problems like dry eyes, skin irritations, chapped lips, and the like. No more itchy skin and red patches! An added bonus is that your skin gets moisturized as well, which is great as we both know you hardly have the time to shower, let alone use a skin moisturizer.
3. Most models emit white noise. You can go on and uninstall that white noise app you just downloaded on your phone – a humidifier will do the same job without killing your phone battery. The standard (evaporative) humidifiers emit louder noise while the ultrasonic ones emit an almost inaudible calming white noise helping your baby relax and get (the hell back) to sleep.
4. Unlike over the counter cold medicines, humidifiers have no side effects. Cool, huh?
5. All in all, baby humidifiers allegedly help babies sleep (better) through the night. What more can you want from life as a parent? Well, a daily shower would be nice but let’s not be greedy.
The best 3 ultrasonic baby humidifiers on the market
Editors’ Choice: Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
This humidifier is our editor’s choice not only because of its super cool design but also because of its ultra-high capacity (2.6 l) as well as its 7 changing tender LED lights that serve as the perfect night light for the nursery room! But wait, there’s so much more to it!
Seneo Personal Whole House Ultrasonic Humidifier features:
With a tank capacity of up to 2.6 l, this ultrasonic baby humidifier can guarantee you up to 6 hours of work (at the highest setting of 380ml of moisture per hour). If you set the output at a minimum, this fella will humidify and purify the air for 24 hours straight!
No need to worry about your (and your children’s) safety or energy waste as the Seneo ultrasonic humidifier will turn off automatically if there is no water left in the tank as well as when the set time is up.
Changing LED lights
The 7 calming changing LED lights are rainbow-colored and provide a super relaxing atmosphere (so needed for us, sleep-deprived parents). It also works like a charm if your child is afraid of the dark (hint: all children are afraid of the dark at some point). The lights are really subtle so they efficiently double as night lights for the nursery room.
One of the main reasons this particular humidifier got our editor’s choice award is its sleek design. It is appropriate for any room in the house and adds a graceful touch to any interior design. With its clean lines and elegant shape, the Seneo Ultrasonic Humidifier is the perfect accent to any room in your home.
If you want a reasonably-priced ultrasonic cool mist baby humidifier that has an awesome design, offers up to 24 hours of continuous use and has an added extra of doubling as a night light, this is your best choice!
Best Creative Design – Crane Adorable 1 Gallon Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
The Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier won our hearts with its super cute and adorable design that no baby or toddler will resist! The elephant design is particularly attention-grabbing with its endearing trunk and smiling face. It even has the cutest name – Elliot the Elephant!
Except for its adorable cheerful design, Elliot the Elephant has some other features most baby humidifiers can only dream of:
For those of you who are not particularly keen on the constant humming of common evaporative humidifiers, the Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier features a straightforward, whisper-quiet operation that will guarantee you up to 24 hours of work in (almost) complete silence.
Extra anti-bacterial protection
The base of this baby humidifier is made of a special clean control antimicrobial material that prevents the growth of mold and bacteria.
Super convenient water tank
The removable water tank of the Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier holds up to 3.78 l (1 gallon) of water and provides you up to 11 hours of moisture (up to 24 hours if at its lowest setting). What’s more, it’s super easy to refill the tank as it conveniently fits under almost any bathroom sink.
You may find it hard to believe but the Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is more energy efficient than a regular light bulb (up to 45W)! Add to this the auto-off function that activates when there’s no water left in the tank and you have one of the most energy efficient household appliances.
One of the best features of this humidifier is its adorable child-friendly design. Super cute and compact, it is (amazingly) suitable for rooms up to 250 square feet. Just put it on a flat surface and wait for your little one to see it – your baby will be mesmerized by the child-friendly animal design of Elliot the Elephant!
If you are looking for an award-winning FDA and patent-registered ultrasonic cool mist baby humidifier, this is your best choice. It is a perfect addition to any nursery room décor, it is extremely easy to use, and it is energy efficient. Oh, and it’s also a great gift for a baby shower!
Best Value for Money – Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier
The Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier has a simple, yet elegant design, a ton of great features, and a reasonable price tag attached to it. What do we love the most about it? It offers an unbeatable fully customizable experience when it comes to mist adjustment (both in quantity and in direction)!
Here are its main features:
Yes, you read it right; there is an “s” at the end! Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier features not one but two mist outlets that practically let you direct the mist in any direction you want.
What’s more, each outlet can rotate at 360° which means the mist can be distributed evenly throughout the nursery room! The dual-mist outlets are particularly convenient if you have two children who share the same room as you can set the mist to go in two different directions.
Variable mist control
With Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier you can determine the exact level of moisture you want for your baby’s nursery room. Depending on the setting you choose, you can get up to 12 hours of moisture-rich air without the need to refill the water tank!
For your convenience, there is a small light on the front that lets you know when it’s time for a refill by turning from green to red. You shouldn’t worry if you miss this moment, though; the humidifier automatically shuts off when the water tank is empty to avoid overheating.
The built-in handle of the tank makes refilling as easy as it can possibly get. Just lift the water tank off its base and bring it to the sink for an easy refill.
If you need a safe and efficient humidifier that won’t get you a step closer to bankruptcy, Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier is your baby humidifier. It’s easy to use and fully customizable so you can sigh with relief that you’ve masterfully solved the air quality problem for your child’s nursery room.
4 features to look for in your baby’s humidifier:
1. Operation (noise) – if you have a newborn that has difficulties falling asleep or your baby is experiencing a sleep regression, perhaps a humidifier emitting calming white noise is the better choice for you. If your child is older, you may opt for a completely noiseless one.
2. Auto shut off – that’s an essential feature of any reputable humidifier as it prevents the appliance from burning out if all the water in its tank has evaporated. Oh, and most models even turn themselves off when they reach the desired level of humidity and/or when the set time is up. Nice job, humidifiers, nice job.
3. Maintenance – the easier it is to clean and refill your baby’s humidifier, the better. Hint: baby humidifiers that don’t feature a removable water tank can be a real pain in the *ss. Just saying. Oh, wait, there’s another one! Hint 2: If you use an ultrasonic humidifier (which we highly recommend for babies), you won’t have to buy replacement filters.
4. Antibacterial features – some baby humidifiers have these extra cool antibacterial features like fancy filters, cartridges, ultraviolet lights and the like that eliminate (or inhibit the growth of) bacteria, mold, and mildew.
Your questions answered:
Should I choose cool mist or warm mist?
Basically, there are two types of mist humidifiers depending on the temperature of the mist they emit: there are cool mist humidifiers and warm mist humidifiers. If you are going to use the humidifier for a nursery room, we strongly recommend using a cool mist one.
The reason behind this is that hot water (or steam) can easily burn your baby or toddler if they accidentally get too close to it. Besides, it’s meaningless to use a warm mist humidifier as it’s no more effective in humidifying the air. What’s more, by the time the mist reaches your child, it’s more or less the same temperature (regardless of which type you’ve chosen).
It’s a brilliantly simple reason: ultrasonic means no need to change filters. And that’s one less task on mommy’s (endless) to-do list. Hurray!
Besides, non-filter baby humidifiers use a physical process (ultrasonic waves) to purify water while filter humidifiers rely on chemical processes for this.
Ultrasonic baby humidifiers are the most modern and the most recommended humidifiers for babies. What’s more, they don’t use a fan to disperse the mist, which makes them much quieter (compared to the common evaporative humidifiers).
And last but not least, ultrasonic baby humidifiers can easily save you enough money for a vacation in Bora Bora by buying replacement filters. Well, not exactly, but you get the point.
Why do I have to clean the damn thing?
I hate to break it to you, but baby humidifiers, unlike baby swings, are not one of those set-and-forget baby gear. Have in mind that mold (and its best friends – bacteria and mildew) needs only about 48 hours to start partying on a damp surface. This means that you should carefully follow all cleaning instructions that come together with your new baby humidifier.
What water should I put in?
Most humidifiers work just fine with tap water, but, depending on the area you live in, your tap water may have miniature mineral particles in it (the so-called “hard water”). If this is the case with your tap water, it is best to fill your baby’s humidifier with distilled water and spare yourself the dispersing of minerals in your baby’s nursery. In any case, if you want your humidifier to work at optimal conditions, it is recommended that you use distilled water. Bugger.
Choosing the right baby humidifier for the nursery room of your baby is not difficult. Just follow our advice above and pick the one that best suits your budget, style, and needs. And do not forget to take all precautionary measures (better-known as RTFM).